SPT 570 Sport Management Capstone
Final Assignment – Creating a Sport Event
Students will create a NEW grassroots sporting event to be held at a location of your choosing in Jacksonville, FL. The purpose of the event should be to benefit 1) a specific JU athletic team, 2) the overall JU athletics department, or 3) a local charity. Students should be creative and thorough when developing the event plan. For example, students can create an event that could serve such purposes as a fundraiser, talent identification, recruitment, community involvement, etc.
Elements of the Assignment
- Title page
- Event Overview – clearly define the purpose and parameters of the event (develop your vision for the event)
- Situational Analysis – discussion of the relevant internal and external conditions potentially having an impact on this event. Students should consider employing (at least portions of) a Porter’s Five Force Analysis
- Develop three SMART goals for the event
- Develop a mini-marketing plan in order to promote the event
- Identify specific target market(s)
- Product – provide specific details about the event. If it is a competition of some sort (like a 5K race), include rules & regulations in the appendix
- Place – where & when will the event take place? Identify potential risks of the location and how to manage/minimize those risks
- Price – is there a cost for participants and/or spectators? What are sources of revenue?
- Promotion – develop a promotional plan – how will you create awareness? (including timeline & budget in the appendix)
- Where applicable, identify/propose corporate partners (sponsors) and discuss their role
- Develop a plan to recruit, train, and reward volunteers/staff
- Develop a budget for all marketing, equipment, staffing, and other related needs (include in the appendix)
- Develop a plan and necessary tools for evaluating the success of the event
- How will you deem it a success? Revenues? Participation?
- Each section listed above should be included in the assignment. Designate each separate section either in boldface type, or on a separate page.
- An APA formatted reference page should be included at the end of the document. It should include a minimum of 4 references
- Event plans should be free of spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. For every three such errors, one letter grade will be deducted.