Objective: Examine the social, cultural, and political characteristics of early Greek Civilization.
For this written assignment, consider the following:
- What role did the Greek city-states such as Athens and Sparta play in developing the important aspects of Greek culture?
- Why were these developments important for the development of Western Civilization?
- Using the course materials, answer these questions in essay format.
- The essay should be 1 double-spaced page and use specific course information.
Read through the following topics for your final essay in this class.
- How did Ancient Greek culture differ from Mesopotamian and Egyptian culture?
- The Greek polis was a unique form of government. What factors led to its emergence? What are some of the reasons for the poleis to develop in different ways?
- The founding of the Roman Republic was both a cherished myth and a series of events. What factors contributed to this unique system of government?
- How did the Romans control their vast territories?
- What factors allowed the Byzantine Empire to survive into the Middle Ages?
- The growth of papal power made religion an important part of daily life for all Christians in unprecedented ways, but it also limited lay spirituality and the rights of non-Christians. How?
- How does the ethos of crusade imbue the political and religious movements of the High Middle Ages?
- Why did the Renaissance originate in Italy?
- Is the term Reformation a suitable one to describe the religious movement led by Luther?
- What were the effects of the Glorious Revolution on English society and government?
- Choose one of these topics and write a short precursory analysis of the topic.
- In the first paragraph, express why you chose the topic and what about it interests you.
- In the second paragraph, describe what, if anything, you already know about the topic and what you hope to learn from further study and analysis.
- Once you have completed this in 1 double-spaced page, submit the assignment.