Continuous Assessment – Report and Presentation Reflection
Assessment Value: 50%
Due Date: Friday, 6th of May 2022
Groups: Self-Assigned Groups of 4
Report: Maximum 3,000 -3,500 words. Individual bibliographies to
include at least 5 sources each
Presentation: 5-7 minutes
Topic: Each group to research just one of the following topics
Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility can be a complex issue at the domestic level, but at the international level it takes on a much larger significance. The following companies have faced international scrutiny for behaviours that are considered unethical in the Western world.
- Glaxosmithkline Beecham in China
- Volkswagen Emission Scandal
- Primark in Rana Plaza collapse in Bangladesh
- Apple in China
- Purdue Pharma and the OxyContin/opioid scandal in USA
Based on research, present an argument as to whether you believe these companies were unfairly treated and what lessons can be learned for other organisations working abroad. Specifically indicate what role HR should play in ensuring ethical standards internationally. Outline what HR could have, or should have done in the cases above.
Presentation Reflection: The group is asked to provide a reflection on the project answering the following (this may be presented by one or all of the group members):
- Quick outline of the corporate scandal and your conclusion
- How did you come to your conclusion – what information did you use or discard in your analysis?
- What did you learn from doing this assignment and how did it change your idea of:
- The trustworthiness of organisations
- The role and influence of HR professionals
- How will you use what you learnt in your current or future role outside of CIT?